Sunday 18 January 2015

A Forbidden Rumspringa by Keira Andrews (Gay Amish Romance #1)

Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publication Date: September 3rd 2014
POV: Male - Third-person, Past tense
Smut-O-Meter: 8 out of 10
My Rating: 4 out of 5

_______________

When two young Amish men find love, will they risk losing everything?

In a world where every detail of life—down to the width of a hat brim—is dictated by God and the all-powerful rules of the community, two men dare to imagine a different way. At 18, Isaac Byler knows little outside the strict Amish settlement of Zebulon, Minnesota, where there is no rumspringa for exploration beyond the boundaries of their insular world. Isaac knows he’ll have to officially join the church and find a wife before too long, but he yearns for something else—something he can’t name.

Dark tragedy has left carpenter David Lantz alone to support his mother and sisters, and he can’t put off joining the church any longer. But when he takes on Isaac as an apprentice, their attraction grows amid the sweat and sawdust. David shares his sinful secrets, and he and Isaac struggle to reconcile their shocking desires with their commitment to faith, family and community.

Now that they've found each other, are they willing to lose it all?

_______________

This is a wonderful, touching story. My only complaint is that in the first section of the book there was too much focus on the sex and not enough focus of their relationship. I only felt that they had that wonderful, deeper relationship closer to the end. I didn't like how quickly they turned to sex. Especially considering their upbringing, I would have expected them to be more hesitant. And David had bought a gay magazine some time in the past and that was enough for them to figure everything out instantly. I never felt that innocence and sense of discovery that I love seeing in first-timers.

But that was only in the beginning. Once their relationship developed, their sexual relationship seemed to fit and feel more natural and I was able to focus on all the wonderful things about this book. I really loved Isaac and David. I felt for them and their situation so much. Especially when reminded of what happened to their brothers, and how hard things are for them, to be reminded of what they lost, and what it would fee like to the family they left behind if they left. They were both incredibly caring and wanted to best for their families. They tried so hard to do what they felt was the right thing. They were just amazing.

And I love how that played into their interactions with each other. They were so kind and caring to each other. So honest and polite. It is just who they were and how they were raised, but I really loved all the kind words and tender moments. I felt as if it added another layer to their affections, by making it so clear to each other. It was beautiful and I loved hearing them call each other "my David" and "my Isaac."

The last section of the book had me weeping. Pretty much from the time Isaac visited June until the end of the book I was in tears. I was so happy for Isaac to have made that reconnection. I was touched by all the support he received, proud of him for making the decision, and the ending was just so wonderful. I felt overwhelmed and I cried and I cried. I cannot wait to read A Clean Break. I will be reading it on release day.

“I think about what it would be like to live with you instead of a wife. To share a bed every night, and work side by side each day. I know its a terrible sin, but the thought of it makes my heart so glad." He sucked in a breath, trying in vain to stop tears from forming. "I want to be with you forever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...