Sunday 24 March 2013

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare (The Infernal Devices #3)

Genres: Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Paranormal/Urban Fantasy, Steampunk, Romance
Publication Date: March 19th 2013
POV: Alternating - Third-person, Past tense
My Rating: 4 out of 5
_______________

Tessa Gray should be happy—aren't all brides happy? Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.
_______________

I find it hard to believe that I am actually rating something by Cassandra Clare so high, but I absolutely loved this. I much, much preferred the overall story of TID over TMI. But I was still prevented from really loving the first two books in this series because of how much I despise Will's character, and nearly every scene that involved him. So it is just a star away from being perfect.

Although the book was long, the story did not drag at all. It was packed full of action and adventure and danger and heroics and revelations. It was almost too much to bare. I found myself sometimes wishing it would end if only to end the strain on my heart. The emotion in this book was overwhelming. I always thought that Tiger's Destiny was the most emotional YA book I had ever read. But this has easily taken the cake. It has gone above and beyond, and that is both a good and a bad thing. In Tiger's Destiny, Kelsey was engaged to Kishan, even though she was obviously more in love with his brother, Ren. I was absolutely in love with Kishan, and it broke my heart to see how Kelsey betrayed him in her heart. I greatly, greatly appreciate that Clare did not do the same thing to Jem. Tessa loved Jem. She loved him as he deserved, as Kelsey could never have loved Kishan. But Tessa's love for Jem only makes it all the harder for me to understand how there could be any room left in her heart for Will. It defies nature, as she seemed to be aware. The only explanation is that they were parabatai, but that seems to be a weak explanation to me. It makes me sad and uncomfortable. I guess you just have to accept it as a natural phenomenon, or a paradox. I still appreciate that Clare tried, harder than most authors, not to break anyone's heart, characters and fans alike. But then again, it is rare that there are characters as loved as Will and Jem. There are very few instances of fans becoming so invested in a love-triangle, where both sides are loved almost equally.

I personally never saw the connection between Will and Tessa, throughout the whole series. I never really understood Will until this book. His personality annoyed me. Even in Prince, when we already  knew of the curse, he still annoyed me. The way he never took anything seriously. But I felt a lot of sympathy for him in this one. Regardless of my personal feelings for him, he was in a lot of pain that he didnt deserve, and he clearly loved Tessa so much. But I still didn't believe he belonged with her. And her love for him didnt seem real. She had an amazing connection with Jem, and whenever she thought of Will she thought, "Oh, his blue eyes and beautiful face." Those are not reasons to love someone. It couldn't compare to her feelings for Jem in my eyes. I never really believed that she loved him until Cadair Idris, when she said that he was like her."You say the things I think but never say out loud." It was an extremely touching scene, and the first time I had any sort of positive feelings for Will. But then he had to go and ruin it right after. Will doesnt seem to know the meaning of the word Kiss. He didnt know that she had been in love with him for a long time. For all he knew, she was distraught, and mourning Jem, and only looking for comfort, or distraction. He took advantage of her weakened state. I can't believe how little he questioned her first. She didn't regret it because she knew her own feelings for him had always been the same, regardless of Jem. But Will did not know that, and I can't believe what he did. In most YAs, the guy is usually like, "Are you sure? We can wait. It should be perfect. Are you sure? Are you sure? Are you sure?" And then, only then. But Will? He hears, "Kiss me," and then BAM. Sex. Dude, a little restraint?

When Jem said good-bye to Tessa and Will as Brother Zachariah, I cried so much. I was sobbing and gasping. It really broke my heart, even though I knew he would be back, it was still so sad. He belonged with them so much. But after he was gone, Tessa and Will got together way too quickly. When Jem and Tessa got engaged, people thought they were too young. But they knew Jem was dying so they tried to be understanding. When Will and Tessa got engaged, they were still only 17 so it must not have been long after Jem left, no more than a month or two, and no one comments about them being too young. Tessa and Jem had an excuse. Tessa and Will do not. Plus, Tessa should still be mourning Jem. But no one comments about the oddness of their swift engagement. I found it so disrespectful. Even though Jem gave them his blessing, they had no shame, no restraint. As if the fact that they both loved Jem gave them the right to do whatever they wanted with each other, completely heedless of Jem's loss that led to their gain. Do I sound bitter? I am bitter.

Tessa should have been with Jem and only Jem, but if she was to be with both of them, it is better that Jem be the last rather than the first. And desptie what Will and Tessa did, Jem is the one that is with her in the end. And she still loved him, 130 years later, still wearing his pendant. I know she would likely have done the same for Will. If she had been with Jem first, and had to wait 130 years to be with Will, she would have still loved him then. But I don't have to think about that anymore, because Will is dead. And Jem is back. Thats all the matters now. That they are together again. But I don't know whether Tess will want to have more children, and watch them die before her. So maybe Will will still have more from life than Jem will ever have. I just hope that he is still immortal. *looks skyward* Gosh, do I ever hope that he is still immortal. Oh, and I fell in love with Magnus a little bit in this book. :P

“There are so many worse things than death. Not to be loved or not to be able to love: that is worse.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...