Wednesday 6 March 2013

Astarte's Wrath by Trisha Wolfe (Kythan Guardians #1)

Genres: New Adult, Historical Fiction, Paranormal/Mythology, Romance
Smut-O-Meter: 5 out of 10
My Rating: 4 out of 5

_______________

A tragic love story.

Two thousand years before Dez Harkly developed her secret powers, Guardian Astarte was vowed to protect by the binds enslaving her to the Egyptian pharaohs. Discover the prophecy that originated from a very different time, and spans generations to link two very different girls.

This is the beginning.

Set against the backdrop of the Battle of Actium, in the city of Alexandria, Star struggles with her guardian duties as her feelings for the newly named pharaoh of Egypt grow deeper. Not only is Caesarion her duty, he’s the son of Cleopatra, and he’s human. All of which makes their love forbidden.

But when a conspiracy linked to Caesar creeps into Alexandria, Star must choose between helping her fellow Kythan free themselves of their servitude, and protecting her charge—the last pharaoh—while Egypt burns around her.

_______________

This book did a great job of introducing the history in Destiny's Fire, and even setting up for the future of the series. But it is still its own amazing story. The two novels dont depend upon each other and you can read one or the other on its own. But I would definitely recommend reading them both because they are amazing. I still slightly prefer Destiny's Fire because it is more my speed. I prefer the fun, fast-pace and the feel of YA romance. Also, Reese is more my type of guy. Astarte's Wrath was darker and felt more like a New Adult. I thought the characters were older and it wasnt until I was finished the book that I looked up how old Caesarion was during the events of the book, and he was 17. Something about the characters and the story made them seem older. I knew they were young, but I was thinking more like 19. Despite their young age and the mild sexual content, I am still listing this as NA.

"Hearing him refer to me as his intended opens my heart like the sea opens to the sky, and I am his."

I have always loved history, and when I was younger I was fascinated by Egypt. I never studied it because I was just a kid, but I had Egypt themed bed sheets and little Egyptian figurines and posters. So I really, really enjoyed the setting and I really appreciate all the work Trisha Wolfe put into making this accurate. It really felt authentic and it made it so much easier to just disappear into the story. And the added fantasy elements just made it all the more amazing. I loved the world of the Kythan from Destiny's Fire, and I am even more familiar with it now and its just awesome. Although I feel like I should reread Destiny's Fire because it seems I dont remember it as well as I thought I did.

"Xarion's chest heaves. His bloodied face looks more beautiful than I've ever seen it."

The writing is top-notch and totally captivating, and the story has everything. So much intense action and violence, magic and mythology, romance and heartbreak, and great characters. Star was totally kick-ass! Caesarion was strong and sweet, and Phoenix was funny and loyal. I loved them all! Although I prefer Reese over Caesarion, I think I prefer Star over Dez.

And the ending was sort of perfect. I can think of ways I would have preferred for it to end, but the ending managed to evoke just the right combination of emotions for it to shake me without leaving me broken. I cried twice, but it was still sort ofan HEA. You will just have to read it for yourself to find out. You wont regret it. And I cannot say enough things about how gorgeous the cover is. I absolutely love it! I don't know if the girl is a model or a drawing, but she is freaking gorgeous! Her hair is perfect and shiny, and her lips and her eyes, and the interesting necklace, balanced with the Egyptian background. Love it!

"You're home," he says, his voice stirring all my love. 
"You're my home." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...