Friday 12 October 2012

Guardian of Time by Amanda Gerry, Christy Hall (Shardwell #2)

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Publication Date: August 6th 2012
POV: Alternating - Third-person, Past tense
My Rating: 5 out of 5
_______________

A secret has the power to destroy a kingdom.

I have learned this through both isolation and sorrow. My inheritance is a legacy of lies—they flow through my family like poison. Each new morning they become harder to hide.

But now my world is in turmoil. The Second Kingdom has already fallen. Demons rise from its ashes, crossing our borders to slaughter my people. Betrayal threatens to consume all I strive to defend. The Jeweled City is on the brink of war. Only my marriage to a stranger can slow its tide.

How can I choose between duty and love?

_______________

This book was even better than the first, and perhaps even better than anything I have read all year. It is a prequel to Phoenix Angel, and shows what Maggie and Lily's lives were like before, as Margariete and Esilwen, and even explains some of the events referred to at the end of Phoenix Angel. Sadly, Kyle was not in this at all, but we get to learn a great deal more about Carter, as well as Raeylan and Feralblade. And what we learned was fascinating. There are so many character revelations in this books, it continually surprised me. I had so many misconceptions before starting it, and I loved the way Amanda Gerry and Christy Hall laid it out for us.

Esilwen and Kirion

I have read many other YA fantasy lately, such as Grave Mercy, Bitterblue, and Throne of Glass, and they all disappointed me. They were also all very similar. But Guardian of Time was one of the most original YA fantasy I have read and I would even recommend it for adult fantasy readers. It had a highly developed magical system and amazingly complex mythology and world building. And the story was non-stop. Just when you think you may know where the story is going, another villain is introduced, another threat against Thyella, against the First Kingdom, or against a loved one. But it all flowed together perfectly and kept me reading.

Again, it focused on Margariete and Esilwen. I think this is meant to be both of their stories. Two incredible women as close as sisters, and their loves and losses, as they fight for the lives and freedoms of their world and others. And this book is not afraid to go dark, as it explores the darkest parts of a person's soul, what motivates evil, and how far someone is willing to go for what they believe in.

I can't even think of enough words to describe how amazing this was. I am completely captivated by the world of Shardwell and its stunning imagery. I cannot wait to find out what happens next, how Margariete meets Kyleren, how they end up in our world, and what Kirion will do next!

"Even after I lay in my tomb," he whispered, "I will continue to love you, Esilwen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...