Thursday 12 July 2012

The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova (The Vicious Deep #1)

Genres: Young Adult, Adventure, Fantasy/Mythology
Publication Date: May 1st 2012
POV: Male - First-person, Present tense
My Rating: 3 out of 5

_______________

For Tristan Hart, everything changes with one crashing wave.

He was gone for three days. Sucked out to sea in a tidal wave and spit back ashore at Coney Island with no memory of what happened. Now his dreams are haunted by a terrifying silver mermaid with razor-sharp teeth.

His best friend Layla is convinced something is wrong. But how can he explain he can sense emotion like never before? How can he explain he's heir to a kingdom he never knew existed? That he's suddenly a pawn in a battle as ancient as the gods.

Something happened to him in those three days. He was claimed by the sea...and now it wants him back.

_______________

This was a bit disappointing. It was from a male POV. Tristan was interesting and I mostly liked him. He was a bit of a whore, but he was funny. The story was interesting but not amazing. They spent too much time on land for my liking. And he spend too much time just at school and hanging around with friends when he should have been completing his quest. I would have preferred to be more immersed in the mer world.

But I like Tristan, mostly because he amuses me. Because I am laughing at him, not with him. He is supposed to be so cool and popular and girls are throwing themselves at him, but I find him to be a tad silly and awkward. I guess that's because he's 16 and I'm not. I also really like Layla, Thalia, and Kurt. A great cast of characters. Tristan was pining after Layla for the whole book, but he was so passive about it, it was kinda sad. He thinks he loves her, and he says he always sees her face when he is in trouble, but he doesn't do anything about it. It was a very uneventful romance. All thought, no action. 

And then they introduced the Gwen character to complicate things. Maybe in The Savage Blue Layla will decide she likes Tristan and a love-triangle will be introduced with Gwen. As long as something happens I wont complain. Gwen was interesting but there is no comparing to the bond Tristan and Layla have. I am so Team Layla. I've never had to team with a girl before. Unless I take Kurt into consideration. I am not sure if maybe Kurt likes Layla, or maybe Layla likes Kurt. It's unclear, but if there is something going on there, I am Team Tristan.

Anyway, this was decently entertaining but I am not super excited for more, but I will still read The Savage Blue.

“Our kind, we don't leave many traces behind in this world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...