Saturday 28 April 2012

Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison (Elder Races #1)

Genres: Adult, Fantasy/Urban Fantasy, Romance
Smut-O-Meter: 9 out of 10
My Rating: 3 out of 5

_______________

Half-human and half-Wyr, Pia Giovanni spent her life keeping a low profile among the Wyrkind and avoiding the continuing conflict between them and their Dark Fae enemies. But after being blackmailed into stealing a coin from the hoard of a dragon, Pia finds herself targeted by one of the most powerful—and passionate—of the Elder Races.

As the most feared and respected of the Wyrkind, Dragos Cuelebre cannot believe someone had the audacity to steal from him, much less succeed. And when he catches the thief, Dragos spares her life, claiming her as his own to further explore the desire they've ignited in each other.

Pia knows she must repay Dragos for her trespass, but refuses to become his slave—although she cannot deny wanting him, body and soul.

_______________

I dont think there is really anything wrong with this, its just not for me. I was uncomfortable with Dragos' possessiveness. And I expect a little sex in an adult PNR, but it just happened so often that it felt like that was the only purpose of the book. Dragon Bound actually had a pretty decent story and an interesting world, but the sex was so much more frequent than was necessary, that I would say this is for a different audience than normal PNR. And the sex wasn't really focused on enough to be a true erotica either. And it happened so quickly it was ridiculous! They knew each other less than a day before they were having crazy animal sex.

I mostly enjoyed the characters, though I would have preferred Dragos to be less intense. That is only my personal preference and I know the caveman alpha types are very popular with most woman. And Dragos is definitely that.

"He had been born along with the solar system... His massive bones and flesh must have been formed along with the planets."

He is a shape-shifting dragon who is the oldest being in the universe, and in the modern world he is a billionaire businessman. And the dragon still loves to hoard treasures.

"Have I been added to his hoard?" 
"No, cupcake. I'm pretty sure you've replaced it."

Pia fights him all the way. She hates the idea of being possessed but he doesn't know how else to handle her. He is a monster who has never loved anything before in his long life. He just wants her to stay with him, and to keep her safe. The only way he knows how to do that is to own her. I cant even guess how many times the words "You're mine" were said in this book. It was borderline creepy, but he meant well.

I really liked Pia. She was a really strong, independent heroine. She had a big secret that she had kept from everyone her entire life. And it was driving Dragos crazy that she wouldnt tell him either. In this world, all magical creatures can shape-shift into human form. Pia has never shifted because she is a half-breed and doesnt have enough magic to shift on her own. She eventually lets Dragos help her, and a split second before they revealed what her true form was, it just clicked in my head. What would be the most ridiculous thing for her to be? I was right, and it was hilarious and ridiculous and awesome at the same time.

So the romance was pretty intense but really funny as well, as Pia struggles to understand and deal with such a great beast in her life. It takes pretty much the entire book for them to understand each other. And Dragos' employees and friends that are in their life are just amazed at their boss' changed behaviour and it can be pretty funny at times. I am sure a lot of people would really love this. But I will check out the next book in the series one day.

You're my miracle and my home...I will always come for you, always want you, and always need you. We clear?" 
She had begun to glow. "Sounds a lot like love to me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...