Saturday 4 February 2012

Tiger's Voyage by Colleen Houck (The Tiger Saga #3)

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy/Mythology, 
Adventure, Romance   
My Rating: 5 out of 5

_______________

With the head-to-head battle against the villainous Lokesh behind her, Kelsey confronts a new heartbreak: in the wake of his traumatic experience, her beloved Ren no longer remembers who she is. As the trio continues their quest by challenging five cunning and duplicitous dragons, Ren and Kishan once more vie for her affections--leaving Kelsey more confused than ever.
_______________

This book was emotionally exhausting! Just like the first two. The ending didnt make me cry though, which is a first. The first and second books ended with an emotional cliffhanger, not an action one. I am quite excited to find out what happens next.

The setup of this book was a bit different from the previous two. The first two start out with Kelsey in Oregon, until she returns to India, then the bulk of the book takes place on their adventure in another realm. This one started out in India and Kelsey does not return home between her second and third adventures. Which is good because I don't really enjoy the parts in Oregon as much. The first half of this book is set on a yacht, before they start their adventure. Kelsey, Ren, Kishan, Mr. Kadam, and Nilima. The usual group, while they prepare for their next adventure. It is during this time that the love-triangle is taken to a whole new level. So much back and forth and fighting between the three of them. I think it may have been taken a little too far and shifted the focus of the book a bit too much away from the curse.

In Tiger's Quest I was very impressed with Kelsey's loyalty to Ren. I was impressed that she so strongly resisted such a hot, flirty guy when Ren wasn't around. I had new found respect for her. But Kishan is unlike most back-up guys and I knew it would be possible to turn the triangle around, and that Colleen Houck would likely do it. Although I couldn't figure out how it could be done without Kelsey betraying Ren. Well, Colleen did, and left me mad at Ren rather than Kelsey. She convincingly took Kelsey away from Ren and gave her to Kishan. She did it without me having to lose respect for Kelsey. Although I did lose a little respect for Ren, which is unfortunate. But I have a new found, immense love for Kishan which I am very happy about. I love him so much I could cry! Haha, maybe not literally but when you read so much teenage romance your emotions can get a little confused.

I was disappointed in how Kelsey kept saying that she loved Kishan, but she was constantly thinking about Ren. Even after she listed all the reasons why she chose Kishan, which were all good reasons, she could barely stay focused on him. She kept making horrible analogies like how Kishan was the steady player who would last the game but couldn't score the three-pointers. I found it extremely unfair to Kishan and I think he deserves more. He loves Kelsey a lot so I would want him to be with her so he could be happy, but at the same time I think he deserves someone who could love him more thoroughly. Although I would never want Colleen to do that thing where you throw in a new girl at the end so everyone can be happy. I hate it when that happens. But the girl always ends up with the main guy. Colleen will find a way to get Kelsey back with Ren, and she will most likely find a way to do it smoothly and naturally like everything else. But will she find a way to do it without breaking Kishans's heart? 

But this book still excelled where the first two did. The amazing adventure and mythology! This one may even be my favourite in that respect. They travel the ocean of another realm and face five dragons inspired by Chinese mythology. Each dragon gives them a different task to complete before they reach the end to claim their prize. My favourite was definitely the green dragon, although it was probably the characters' least favourite. It was very exciting. I really look forward to what happens next. It says Tiger's Destiny doesn't come out till September, but the first three all came out in 2011, so that seems a little unfair. Although these books like to torment me emotionally, Colleen has somehow managed to make me agree with all the changes that have happened to Kelsey. I am taking the ups and downs with her. I love Ren when she loves Ren. I love Kishan when she loves Kishan. So I hope whatever happens in the next book, I will agree with it too. I don't know how she does it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...